How to use this site?

Please click on the comments to see the right option from the choices given

Dear Medicos,
This site contains a comprehensive list of medical PG entrance questions asked in various PG entrance examination throughout India like AIIMS, AIPGEE, PGI CHANDIGARH, JIPMER, CMC VELLORE .... and various state entrance exams like KERALA, TAMIL NADU, KARNATAKA, DELHI .... and also private entrances like COMEDK, MANIPAL etc...





SEARCH THE WEB

20110812

Clinical Abnormalities in Uremia


I= Improves after dialysis, P = Persists, D = Due to dialysis
Fluid and electrolyte disturbances

Volume expansion (I)
Hyponatremia (I)
Hyperkalemia (I)
Hyperphosphatemia (I)

Endocrine-metabolic disturbances

Secondary hyperparathyroidism (I or P)
Adynamic bone (D)
Vitamin D–deficient osteomalacia (I)
Carbohydrate resistance (I)
Hyperuricemia (I or P)
Hypertriglyceridemia (I or P)
Increased Lp(a) level (P)
Decreased high-density lipoprotein level (P)
Protein-energy malnutrition (I or P)
Impaired growth and development (P)
Infertility and sexual dysfunction (P)
Amenorrhea (I/P)
beta 2-Microglobulin associated amyloidosis (P or D)
Neuromuscular disturbances

Fatigue (I)b
Sleep disorders (P)
Headache (P)
Impaired mentation (I)b
Lethargy (I)b
Asterixis (I)
Muscular irritability
Peripheral neuropathy (I or P)
Restless legs syndrome (I or P)
Myoclonus (I)
Seizures (I or P)
Coma (I)
Muscle cramps (P or D)
Dialysis disequilibrium syndrome (D)
Myopathy (P or D)

Cardiovascular and pulmonary disturbances

Arterial hypertension (I or P)
Congestive heart failure or pulmonary edema (I)
Pericarditis (I)
Hypertrophic or dilated cardiomyopathy (I, P, or D)
Uremic lung (I)
Accelerated atherosclerosis (P or D)
Hypotension and arrhythmias (D)
Vascular calcification (P or D)
Dermatologic disturbances

Pallor (I)b
Hyperpigmentation (I, P, or D)
Pruritus (P)
Ecchymoses (I)
Nephrogenic fibrosing dermopathy (D)
Uremic frost (I)

Gastrointestinal disturbances

Anorexia (I)
Nausea and vomiting (I)
Gastroenteritis (I)
Peptic ulcer (I or P)
Gastrointestinal bleeding (I, P, or D)
Idiopathic ascites (D)
Peritonitis (D)

Hematologic and immunologic disturbances

Anemia (I)b
Lymphocytopenia (P)
Bleeding diathesis (I or D)b
Increased susceptibility to infection (I or P)
Leukopenia (D)
Thrombocytopenia (D)


aVirtually all abnormalities in this table are completely reversed in time by successful renal transplantation. The response of these abnormalities to hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis therapy is more variable. (I) denotes an abnormality that usually improves with an optimal program of dialysis and related therapy; (P) denotes an abnormality that tends to persist or even progress, despite an optimal program; (D) denotes an abnormality that develops only after initiation of dialysis therapy.
bImproves with dialysis and erythropoietin therapy.
Note: Lp(a), lipoprotein A.

No comments: